HAND HELD NEBULIZER
Operating Safety Instructions
- Gather equipment:
- Medical Air Compressor;
- Nebulizer unit with nebulizer cup and cap, T-piece, mouthpiece and tubing;
- Place compressor on a flat level surface near patient.
- Fill medication cup with prescribed amount of medication solution./li>
- Attach tubing to compressor and nebulizer connection.
- Plug compressor power cord into an appropriate electrical outlet (UNGROUNDED outlet may require a GROUNDING ADAPTER).
- Patient should be positioned in a comfortable upright seated or semi-reclining position.
- Turn on compressor power switch.
- Ensure nebulizer is operating properly by observing the production of a fine medication aerosol or mist.
- Place mouthpiece in mouth and breathe in and out SLOWLY and DEEPLY through mouth. Every 4 or 5 breaths, hold for a moment to allow better dispersion of medication within the lung.
- **If patient is an INFANT or patient tends to gag with mouthpiece in mouth, use a mask or simply blow mist into face.
- **If patient complains of dizziness or fatigue during treatment, encourage frequent rests during the treatment process.
- Breathe as described until medication is gone, usually 10 – 15 minutes. The sound of the nebulizer will change to a “sputtering” sound as the medication is used up.
- Turn off power switch.
- Clean nebulizer as directed in the cleaning instructions provided.
Call your servicing location if you have problems or questions.